The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
by Mitch Toda on October 14, 2014
Beards seem to get all the attention these days. So in honor of Bald and Free Day and to all of those of you who are hair impared, we present to you a Bald and Free Smithsonian.
- Record Unit 7433 - Ruel P. Tolman Collection, 1909-1964, Smithsonian Institution Archive
- Accession 11-008 - Office of Public Affairs, Photographic Collection, 1960-1970, Smithsonian Institution Archives
by Mitch Toda on October 10, 2014
- Wanting to increase library card ownership, the Nashville Public Library decided to help promote and celebrate library cards with a little song. [via Nora Lockshin, SIA]
- As we come to the end of National Hispanic Heritage Month, here are some tips for experiencing Latino History at the National Museum of American History. [via O say can you see? blog, NMAH]
- Poop Sleuth - Sarah Putman gives us a great look into the variety of work one can find at the National Zoo. [via Smithsonian Science]
- For all of those who practice digital preservation, The National Digital Stewardship Alliance Standards and Practices and Infrastructure working groups has published Checking Your Digital Content: What is Fixity and When Should I Be Checking It? [via The Signal Digital Preservation, LOC]
- Book love - Elizabeth Broman, Reference Librarian, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Library, talks about her experience attending the annual conference of the Moveable Book Society (think pop-up books) in Philadelphia. [via Unbound blog, Smithsonian Libraries]
- Even more book love - 800 year old doodles found in medieval books. [via Colossal]
- Thinking about being a digital archivist? Here's some great advice from Peter Chan, Digital Archivist, Standford University Libraries. [via The Signal: Digital Preservation, LOC]
- Digital images are such a common part of life, but it was not so long ago that Polaroid and instant film provided that immediate gratification of seeing what an image looks like instantaneouly. Here's a look at the Impossible Project and the beauty of instant film. [via PetaPixel]
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...