Get updates on our amazing collections!
Today in Smithsonian History
The US Congress grants to the Smithsonian the use of the Armory Building on the southern side of the National Mall between 6th and 7th Streets. The four-story building is assigned in 1877 to the United States National Museum which fills it from "top to bottom" with collections, including those from the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876. The US Fish Commission, administered by the Smithsonian, is also located there. The building was originally erected in 1856 for the use of local volunteers and militia.More