The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
- The Smithsonian's National Museum of American History needs your help to preserve Dorothy's ruby red slippers. [via Washington Post]
- The gravedigger from Hamlet, Malvolio from Twelfth Night, and more Shakespeare-inspired Halloween costumes! [via Folger Shakespeare Library]
- IBM's Watson Supercomputer + Encyclopedia of Life= Biodiversity Treasure Trove Unlocked! [via Smithsonian Magazine]
- The world's oldest tattoo belongs to Ötzi, the European Tyrolean Iceman. [via Smithsonian Insider]
- Speaking of tattoos, you can learn about the history of tattooing, and get a new tattoo, all at the Field Museum! [via Chicago Sun Times]
- A new global spatial database from the European Commission showing human population growth on earth. [via Info Docket]
- Look back with DPLA at other presidential candidates who were political outsiders. [via Digial Public Library of America]
- The African American fashion designer behind Jacqueline Bouvier's wedding dress, Ann Lowe. [via NY Post]
- A new online audio collection from the Library of Congress of National Press Club Luncheon speeches given by presidents, prime ministers, and more. [via Info Docket]
- If you haven't had enough, you can watch presidential debates since 1960. In this one with John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, they each had 8 minutes for opening statements! [via Open Culture]
On October 27, 2016,12 p.m. EST, we will host a Facebook Live with our archives conservator, Nora Lockshin, and digitization specialist, Kira Sobers. They will give you a peek at the process of taking a historic diary from conservation, to digitization, to transcription by our volunteers on the Transcription Center! We'll keep which diary a secret until the day of, but it just may have something to do with the Civil War. RSVP now!
Also, if you missed it, on #AskAnArchivist day, we answered many wonderful questions on Twitter. Please enjoy the following Storify which includes resources about preservation of documents, digital files, Halloween costume suggestions, and more!
In celebration of our friends at the National Archives’ #ElectionCollection campaign, we are sharing some unique photos of U.S. Presidents in our collection. Check back on the blog weekly until November 8th for a new #ElectionCollection highlight, and make sure to follow the fun via Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!
Calvin Coolidge, The White House
Stumbling Upon . . . Calvin Coolidge, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- 1 of 522
- next ›