SIA Acc. 96-099, Blackwelder, Richard E, Richard E. Blackwelder Papers, 1926-1964
- Blackwelder, Richard E
- Richard E. Blackwelder Papers, 1926-1964
- 1926, 1926-1964
- Richard E. Blackwelder received a doctorate in entomology from Stanford University in 1934. The following year he received the Walter Rathbone Bacon Traveling Scholarship, which enabled him to conduct field work on the beetles of the West Indies from 1935 to 1938. These papers consist of journals from Blackwelder's field work in the West Indies while he was recipient of the Walter Rathbone Bacon Traveling Scholarship (1935-1938); journals of his wife, Ruth M. Blackwelder, from the same period; notebooks from his research in museums in the United States and England; a notebook listing species in his personal collection; and another notebook.
- Blackwelder, Ruth M, Blackwelder, Richard E, Walter Rathbone Bacon Travelling Scholarship Expedition (1928-1930: West Indies)
- Black-and-white photographs, Collection descriptions, Manuscripts
- Local Number:
- SIA Acc. 96-099
- Physical Description:
- 1 cu. ft. (1 record storage box)
Finding Aids to Personal Papers and Special Collections in the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Table of Contents
Blackwelder, Richard E
Richard E. Blackwelder Papers, 1926-1964
|General Information About This Collection|
|Repository:||Smithsonian Institution Archives, Washington, D.C. Contact us at email@example.com.|
|Creator:||Blackwelder, Richard E|
|Title:||Richard E. Blackwelder Papers|
|Quantity:||1 cu. ft. (1 record storage box)|
|Language of Materials:||English|
Richard Eliot Blackwelder (1909- ) is an entomologist specializing in the study of beetles. He was awarded the Walter Rathbone Bacon Travelling Scholarship of the Smithsonian Institution to conduct field work in the West Indies from 1935 to 1938. This accession consists of journals, field notes, and notebooks documenting Blackwelder's career as an entomologist. Materials include his journals from the Bacon Scholarship field work in the West Indies; journals of his wife, Ruth M. Blackwelder, from the same trips; notebooks from his research in museums in the United States and England; a notebook listing species in his personal collection; a notebook containing recollections onentomologists met by Blackwelder; a journal kept on field trips to the American west, 1960, 1962, 1964; and an album of photographs from his field work in the West Indies. For field notes from Blackwelder's West Indies work see Record Unit 7156.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Blackwelder, Ruth M.
- Walter Rathbone Bacon Travelling Scholarship Expedition (1928- 1930: West Indies)
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 96-099, Blackwelder, Richard E, Richard E. Blackwelder Papers
Journal of Ruth M. Blackwelder, West Indies, 1935-1937 (5 volumes)
Museum Notes (western), 1947-1948 (2 volumes)
Museum Notes (eastern), 1934-1942
British Museum Notes, 1937
Blackwelder Collection, list of species
Entomologists, 1926-1947. Contains Blackwelder's reflections on fellow entomologists
Journal from field trips to the American west, 1960, 1962, 1964
Photograph album from West Indies field work, 1935-1937
Using the Archives' Collections
Note: In order to access PDFs, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader software which is available free of charge.