Publications & Resources
Chotkowski LaFollette, Marcel. Put on Your Hats and White Coats: Images of Women Scientists
- Chotkowski LaFollette, Marcel. Science on American Television: A History. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2012.
- Erway, Ricky. 2012. "You've Got to Walk Before You Can Run: First Steps for Managing Born-Digital Content Received on Physical Media." Dublin, Ohio: OCLC Research.
- Friedman, Anna and Nora Lockshin. "Evaluating mass deacidification after twenty years of natural aging."In article: “Research and Technical Studies–Book and Paper Group Joint Discussion Session 2012: Mass Deacidification Today. The Book & Paper Group Annual 31 (2012), pp. 101-112.
- Antoine, Beth, Marion Mecklenburg, Robert Speakman, and Mel Wachowiak. "The conservation of letterpress copying books: a study of the Baird Collection." The Book & Paper Group Annual 30 (2011), pp. 9-27.
- Ewing, Heather P. and Laurie Ossman. Carrêre and Hastings: The Masterworks. New York: Rizzoli, 2011.
- Green, Elizabeth S., Justin Leidwanger, Richard M. Leventhal, and Brian I. Daniels. "Mare Nostrum? Ethics and Archaeology in Mediterranean Waters." American Journal of Archaeology, 115 (2011): 311–319.
- Henson, Pamela M. "The Nature Study Movement: The Forgotten Popularizer of America's Conservation Ethic," by Kevin C. Armitage. History of Education Quarterly, 51 (2011): 108-110.
- Lockshin, Nora. "Preserving History." In Saving Haiti's Heritage: Cultural Recovery After the Earthquake, edited by Richard Kurin, 194. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 2011.
- Schmitz Fuhrig, Lynda. "Swinging in the Archives: In-house File Transfer of DATs." Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Archives, 2011.
- Shahmohammadi, Andrea. "Born Digital Video Preservation: A Final Report." Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Archives, 2011.
- Stauderman, Sarah. "Challenges in caring for audio and video collections in Haiti." In Saving Haiti's Heritage: Cultural Recovery After the Earthquake, edited by Richard Kurin, 201. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 2011.
- Way, Albert G. Conserving Southern Longleaf: Herbert Stoddard and the Rise of Ecological Land Management. Atlanta, GA: University of Georgia Press. 2011.
- Daniels, Brian I. “Culture, Cultural Rights, and the Right to Assemble.” Anthropological Quarterly, 83 (2010): 883-895.
- Eldridge, Susan. "Digital Audio Tapes: Their Preservation and Conversion." Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Archives, 2010.
- Green, Elizabeth S., Justin Leidwanger, Richard M. Leventhal, and Brian I. Daniels. "Conference Report: Toward 'Best Practices' in Mediterranean Underwater Archaeology." International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, 39 (2010): 437-439.
- Henson, Pamela. "The Smithsonian Institution." In Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, 3rd edition, edited by M. J. Bates and M. N. Maack. London: Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, London, 2010.
- Schmitz Fuhrig, Lynda. "Preservation of Email Collections at The Smithsonian Institution Archives." The Federalist, 26 (2010): 13-14.
- Daniels, Brian I. “Reimagining Tribal Sovereignty through Tribal History: Museums, Libraries, and Archives in the Klamath River Region.” In Contested Knowledge: Museums and Indigenous Perspectives, edited by Susan Sleeper-Smith, 283–302. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2009.
- Ewing, Heather P. and Amy Ballard. A Guide to Smithsonian Architecture. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Books, 2009.
- Ferrante, Riccardo and Lynda Schmitz Fuhrig. "Digital Preservation: Using the Email Account XML Schema," In Archiving 2009: Final Program and Proceedings, conference proceedings edited by William LeFurgy. Springfield, Virginia: 2009.
- Henson, Pamela M. “Everyday Nature: Knowledge of the Natural World in Colonial New York.” Isis, 100 (2009): 655–656.
- - - -. "From Analog to Digital: The Smithsonian Institution Archives Digital Preservation Initiative." Oral History Association Newsletter XLIII, no. 3 (Winter 2009): pp. 1, 4, 6.
- - - -. “The Smithsonian Institution.” In Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, edited by Marcia J. Bates and Mary Niles Maack. London: Taylor & Frances, 2009.
- Kalfatovic, Martin, Effie Kapsalis, Katherine Spiess, Anne Van Camp, and Michael Edson. "Smithsonian Team Flickr: a library, archives, and museums collaboration in web 2.0 space." Archival Science 8, no. 4 (2009): 267–277.
- Luke, Christina, Brian I. Daniels, and Marta Ostovich. Cultural Heritage in Montenegro: An Assessment of Practices, Policies, and Possibilities. Washington, DC: US Department of State and Montenegro Ministry of Culture, 2009.
- Smithsonian Institution Archives and the Rockefeller Archive Center. "Collaborative Electronic Records Project: 2005-2008." Last modified January, 2009. http://siarchives.si.edu/cerp/index.htm.
- Sponsel, Alistair. “Darwin and Alexander von Humboldt.” In A Voyage Around the World: The Charles Darwin Collections in Cambridge University, edited by Alison Pearn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- - - -. “Darwin and Coral Reefs.” In A Voyage Around the World: The Charles Darwin Collections in Cambridge University, edited by Alison Pearn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Ferrante, R., Schmitz Fuhrig, L., Adgent, N. and Burbeck, S. “Digital Dilemmas: Archiving Email.” In Association of Canadian Archivists 2008 Annual Meeting. Ottawa, Ontario: Association of Canadian Archivists, 2008.
- Henson, Pamela. "Nineteenth Century Smithsonian Anthropologists: Creating a Discipline and a Profession," AnthroNotes 29, no. 1 (Spring 2008): 12–18.
- - - -. "Legal and Ethical Issues in Oral History for the Federal Historian," The Federalist 18 (Summer 2008): 7–8.
- LaFollette, Marcel C. “Crafting a Communications Infrastructure: Scientific and Technical Publishing in the United States, 1880–1945.” In A History of the Book in America, edited by Carl F. Kaestle and J. A. Radway, 234–259. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2008.
- - - -. Reframing Scopes: Journalists, Scientists, and Lost Photographs from the Trial of the Century. Lawrence: University of Kansas Press, 2008.
- - - -. Science on the Air: Popularizers and Personalities on Radio and Early Television. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2008.
- Nelson, C.M. “The USGS-AASG Connection.” In American Association of State Geologists Centennial History, edited by J.C. Cobb, 17–24. Austin: AASG, 2008.
- - - -. “King, Clarence Rivers.” In New Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by N. Koetge, 120–123. Detroit, MI: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2008.
- - - -. “Powell, John Wesley.” In New Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by N. Koetge, 149–152. Detroit, MI: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2008.
- Nichols, E. and Stauderman, S. “Conservation Guild, Fourth Decade (1997–2008).” Washington Conservation Guild Newsletter, 32, no. 2 (2008): 9–10.
- Wright, Jennifer et al. "From Crawling to Walking: Improving Access to Web Archives." Presentation from Society of American Archivists Conference, Washington, DC, 2014.
- Alpert, Brian and Kapsalis, Effie. "Cut Through the Fog: How To Act on Your Website Data." Presentation for edUi Conference, Richmond, VA, 2013.
- Shteynberg, Catherine. "Know Thyself: How Suffering Through An Existential Crisis Will Help you Plan Your Metrics." Presentation at the Museums & the Web Conference, San Diego, CA, 2012.
- Bruno, Elena. "The Smithsonian Institution's Crowdsourcing Tradition, Since 1847." Presentation completed as part of Smithsonian Mobile Internship, Washington, DC, 2011.
- Kapsalis, Effie. "Rethinking Evaluation Metrics in Light of Flickr Commons." Presentation at the Museums & the Web Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2011.
- Ferrante, Riccardo. "Put Away and Not Forgotten." Presentation at the Smithsonian Institution Archives Fair, Washington, DC, October, 2010.
- Ferrante, Riccardo. "The Evolution and Management of Email Records." Presentation given at the Association of Catholic Diocesan Archivists Biennial Conference, Mundelein, Illinois, July, 2010.
- Kapsalis, Effie. "OneWeek|OneTool: An Experiment in Interdisciplinary, Rapid, Open Source Software Development." Presentation at the Museum Computer Network Conference, Austin, Texas, 2010.
- Schmitz Fuhrig, Lynda and Jennifer Wright. "Accessioning 2.0: Documenting Institutional Outreach in the 21st Century." Poster presentation at the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, August 10–15, 2010.
- Wright, Jennifer. "The Art of Archival Judgment: Applying More Product Less Process (MPLP).” Paper presentation at the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, August 10–15, 2010.
- Schmitz Fuhrig, Lynda. "Preserving Digital Materials at the Smithsonian Institution Archives." Presentation at the Smithsonian Institution Digitization Fair, Washington, DC, 2010.
- Stauderman, Sarah. "Magnetic Videotape Recordings: Preservation, Assessment, and Migration." Presentation at Digital Directions, Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon, Arizona, August 18, 2010.
- Peters, Tammy, Jennifer Wright, and Ginger Yowell. "Doing It Yourself (Almost): The Dreaded Move." Poster presentation at the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas, 2009.
- Ferrante, Riccardo. "Capturing the E-Tiger: New Tools for Email Preservation." Paper presented at the Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, 2008.
Conservation & Preservation of Documents, Photographs, and Audio/Visual Materials
- American Institute for Conservation
- Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts
- International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
- Library of Congress Preservation Directorate
- National Archives and Records Administration, Preservation and Archives Professionals
- Northeast Document Conservation Center
- Smithsonian Directive 502: Cellulose Nitrate Still Picture and Motion Picture Film (April, 2005)
- Smithsonian Institution Archives' blog, THE BIGGER PICTURE, for case studies and tips on conservation
Digital Curation & Preservation
- Center for Research Libraries, TRAC (Trustworthy Repository Audit and Certification checklist)
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems, OAIS (Open Archival Information System) Reference Model
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, Digital Preservation Management Tutorial
- The Library of Congress METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard)
- National Digital Information Infrastructure & Preservation Program, Sustainability of Digital Formats: Planning for Library of Congress Collections
- National Historical Publications and Records Commission, Electronic Mail Collaboration Initiative
- Smithsonian Institution Archives and the Rockefeller Archive Center, Collaborative Electronic Records Project – Focus: Email Preservation. Content: Papers, Software, Preservation Format Schema
- Smithsonian Institution Archives' blog, THE BIGGER PICTURE, for case studies and tips on digital preservation and preserving collections.
- Smithsonian Institution Archives, "Digitization Standards for Images"
- Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative
Medical Sciences Scholarship
Metadata and Descriptive Standards
- Christensen, Stephanie and Doug Dunlop. "The Case for Implementing Core Descriptive Embedded Metadata at the Smithsonian." From the Proceedings of the International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, Dublin Core Metadata Initiative, 2010
- The Library of Congress and The Society of American Archivists, EAD (Encoded Archival Description)
- The Library of Congress, MARC (MAchine-Readable Cataloging)
- The Library of Congress, Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Guidelines
- Society of American Archivists, Encoded Archival Context (EAC) Guidelines for Corporate bodies, Persons, and Families
- Society of American Archivists, Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Guidelines
- Smithsonian Institution Archives and Rockefeller Archive Center, Email Preservation Parser
- The National Archives (UK), DROID (Digital Record Object IDentification)
- JHOVE (JSTOR/Harvard Object Validation Environment)
- Smithsonian Institution Archives, JHOVE-DROID (combined JSTOR/Harvard Object Validation Environment and Digital Record Object Identification)
- Harvard University Library Office for Information Systems, FITS (File Information Tool Set)
- Duke University, Data Accessioner
Records and Information Management
- Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM)
- ARMA International
- Society of American Archivists