The Audiovisual Media Preservation Initiative supports the preservation needs of Smithsonian audiovisual collections through an innovative, pan-institutional approach.
- Initiative Coordinator
The team lead for AVMPI by coordinating all preservation program activities, including conservation treatments, collection packing and shipping, metadata generation, digitization, and budget oversight.
- Curator for Recorded Media
The content specialist for the history of audiovisual collections across the Smithsonian and works closely with unit staff to determine collection preservation priorities for AVMPI.
- Audio Preservation Specialist
The specialist for the physical stabilization and digital transfer of analog audio collections.
- Video Preservation Specialist
The specialist for the physical stabilization and digital transfer of analog video collections.
- Media Collection Specialists
The specialists for the overall preparation of collections, including physical handling, conservation treatment, and cataloging, for digital transfer.
- Rights & Reproductions Specialist
The primary point of contact for the research and resolution of copyright issues for audiovisual collections preserved through AVMPI.
Task Force Members
- Alison Reppert Gerber, Preservation Coordinator, Smithsonian Libraries and Archives (Chair)
- Blake McDowell, Media Archivist, National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Daisy Njoku, Media Archivist, National Anthropological Archives | Human Studies Film Archives
- Crystal Sanchez, Video and Digital Preservation Specialist, Office of the Chief Information Officer| DAMS
- Jennifer Snyder, Archivist, Archives of American Art
- Kira Sobers, Media Digitization Manager, Smithsonian Libraries and Archives
- Dave Walker, Audiovisual Archivist, Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
- Jessica Warner, Senior Digitization Program Officer, Office of Chief Information Officer | DPO
Advisory Committee Members
- Joshua Bell, Acting Director, National Museum of Natural History | National Anthropological Archives
- Sherri Berger, Digital Program Officer, National Museum of American History
- Karri Brady, Director of Leadership Gifts, Office of Advancement
- Deron Burba, Chief Information Officer, Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Tamar Evangelestia-Dougherty, Director, Smithsonian Libraries and Archives
- Richard Kurin, Interim Director, Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
- Emily Niekrasz, Web and Social Media Content Manager, Smithsonian Libraries and Archives
- Tammy Peters, Interim Chief Archivist, Smithsonian Libraries and Archives
- Rebecca Snyder, Digital Media Specialist, National Museum of Natural History
- Bill Tompkins, Director, National Collections Program
- Michael Zisk, Program Manager, Smithsonian Facilities | Office of Planning, Design, and Construction