A Conservation Research Laboratory was first established in 1963 under the direction of the Smithsonian’s U.S. National Museum. In 1964, the laboratory was moved to new quarters in the Museum of History and Technology, now the National Museum of American History. In 1966, the laboratory was renamed the Conservation Analytical Laboratory. The laboratory began its work by focusing narrowly on preservation and restoration. However, over time its focus broadened so that it became involved in the study and treatment of collections; providing data for understanding museum collections; and supporting, training, and education for Smithsonian and non-Smithsonian conservation staff.
In 1987, at the urging of former Senator Claiborne Pell of Rhode Island, legislation establishing a Museum Support Center at the Smithsonian also created a center for museum object conservation, research, and training. The center was renamed the Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education, and moved to the Museum Support Center after it opened in 1983.
The center specializes in two scientific pursuits: conservation science, which analyzes objects and their materials to determine suitable conservation treatment; and archaeometry, which aims to integrate scientific analysis of objects with their anthropological, archaeological, art historical, and cultural backgrounds. In 2006, the center was renamed the Museum Conservation Institute to reflect its focus on conducting research, and providing information and recommendations about object condition and care to the Smithsonian’s nineteen museums.
- Chronology of the Museum Conservation Institute
- Bibliography of the Museum Conservation Institute
- Images of the Museum Conservation Institute
- Museum Conservation Institute Records from the Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Additional Records and Collections of the Museum Conservation Institute Across the Smithsonian
Today in Smithsonian History
The US Congress grants to the Smithsonian the use of the Armory Building on the southern side of the National Mall between 6th and 7th Streets. The four-story building is assigned in 1877 to the United States National Museum which fills it from "top to bottom" with collections, including those from the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876. The US Fish Commission, administered by the Smithsonian, is also located there. The building was originally erected in 1856 for the use of local volunteers and militia.More
Did you know...
That scientists at the Museum Conservation Institute produced enhanced images of a mysterious four-hundred-year-old slate found in Jamestown, Virginia in 2009 through a process known as reflectance transformation imaging, to assist other scholars with deciphering what was written on it.