Finding Aids to Personal Papers and Special Collections in the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 7232
Resser, Charles Elmer, 1889-1943
Charles Elmer Resser Papers, 1912-1942 and undated
Charles Elmer Resser (1889-1943), paleontologist, was born in East Berlin, Pennsylvania. He was educated at Pennsylvania State Teachers College, B. Ped., 1912; Franklin and Marshall College, B.A., 1913; Princeton University, M.A., 1915; and The George Washington University, Ph.D., 1917. Resser's interest in Cambrian fossils was developed while a student of H. Justin Roddy at Franklin and Marshall.
In 1914 Resser came to the United States National Museum as an assistant to Charles D. Walcott. In 1915 he was appointed Assistant Curator in the Division of Paleontology and subsequently held positions as Assistant Curator, Division of Stratigraphic Paleontology, 1923; Associate Curator, Division of Stratigraphic Paleontology, 1924-1928; Curator, Division of Stratigraphic Paleontology, 1929-1940; and Curator, Division of Invertebrate Paleontology and Paleobotany, 1941-1943. Resser was also a part-time faculty member at The George Washington University, 1915-1932. Resser also taught geology at the University of Maryland for several years.
These papers consist of Resser's professional correspondence, 1912-1940 and undated; notebooks from field trips in the United States and museum collection study trips in Europe; a manuscript on Wisconsin localities at the Milwaukee Public Museum; and photographs from his field trips.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Resser, Charles Elmer, 1889-1943
- Roddy, H. Justin (Henry Justin), 1856-1943
- Walcott, Charles D. (Charles Doolittle), 1850-1927
- Milwaukee Public Museum
- Pennsylvania State Teachers College
- Franklin and Marshall College
- Princeton University
- George Washington University
- United States National Museum. Division of Paleontology
- United States National Museum. Division of Stratigraphic Paleontology
- United States National Museum. Division of Invertebrate Paleontology and Paleobotany
- University of Maryland at College Park
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
- Field notes
- Black-and-white photographs
- Journals (accounts)
- Exhibition catalogs
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 7232, Charles Elmer Resser Papers