The Smithsonian Institution Archives continually strives to add more collection information to its website. This is a periodic post highlighting new acquisitions and individual collection items.
Over Fifty New Finding Aids Online, including:
- Accession 18-100 - National Museum of Natural History, Division of Mammals, Correspondence, 1934-1939, 1956-2017. This collection documents the career of Richard W. Thorington (1937-2017), who specialized in systematics, evolution, anatomy, and functional morphology in mammals, especially of primates and squirrels.
- Accession 18-136 - Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Curatorial - Ceramics, Exhibition Records, 1898, 1916-1917, 1954, 1966, 1978-2015. This collection documents the planning and production of exhibitions created and maintained by Louise Allison Cort, Museum Specialist, 1985-1989; Assistant Curator, 1989-1994; Associate Curator, 1994-1995; and Curator, 1995-present.
- Accession 18-142 - National Zoological Park, Office of the Director, Subject Files, 1972, 1979-2015. The bulk of these materials were created and maintained by Lucy H. Spelman, Director, 2000-2004; Morrell John Berry, Director, 2005-2009; and Dennis W. Kelly, Director, 2010-2017, with a smaller amount of material created by acting, deputy, and former directors.
Thirty-Two Finding Aids with New Links to Digitized Material, including:
- Record Unit 311 - National Collection of Fine Arts, Office of the Director, Records 1892-1960 (highlights are images of the catalog for the American Negro Artists Exhibition, May 16-May 27, 1929; and other exhibition images)
- Additional National Collection of Fine Arts (NCFA) exhibition images found in Record Unit 312 - NCFA, Office of the Director, Records, 1912-1965; Record Unit 313 - NCFA, Central Administrative File, Records, 1908-1974; and Record Unit 314 - NCFA, Office of Exhibition and Design, Exhibition Records, 1963-1973
Four Hundred Forty-Eight New Images Online:
- One hundred eighteen images from Record Unit 371 - Office of Public Affairs, The Torch, 1955-1960, 1965-1988
- One hundred ninety-eight images from Accession 11-009 - Smithsonian Photographic Services, Photographic Collection, 1971-2006
- Two hundred fifty images from Accession 90-105 - Science Service, Records, 1920s-1970s (images of scientists)
- Collection Highlights, April 2019, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, January 2019, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, October 2018, by Tammy Peters,The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, July 2018, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, April 2018, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives