The Smithsonian Institution Archives continually strives to add more collection information to its website. This is a periodic post highlighting new acquisitions and individual collection items.
New Finding Aids Online:
- National Air and Space Museum, Space History Department, Exhibition Records, 2000-2004, 2010-2016, Accession 17-150. Records documenting the development of the exhibition "Destination Moon," which features the Apollo 11 Command Module Columbia.
- National Zoological Park, Audiovisual Recordings, c. 2000-2013, Accession 17-171. Audiovisual recordings featuring the National Zoological Park and its animals, staff, activities, events, research, medical procedures, and exhibitions.
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Science Media Group, Productions, 2008-2013, Accession 17-205. Videotapes and motion picture film for an experimental project to explore novel applications of video in the service of science education.
Links to Finding Aids with Newly Digitized Material:
- Joseph Henry Collection, 1808, 1825-1878, and related papers to circa 1903, Record Unit 7001. Correspondence, notebooks, diaries and other material created by the Smithsonian’s first Secretary.
- Charles Lewis Gazin Papers, 1901-1984 and undated, Record Unit 7314. Photographs and reports documenting Charles Lewis Gazin’s paleontological work.
- David Crockett Graham Papers, 1923-1936, Record Unit 7148. Diaries and photographs which document Graham's travels through Szechwan Province, China.
- Smithsonian Memories Project, Festival of American Folklife, 1996, Record Unit 9594. Audio clips from oral histories recorded at the 1996 Festival of American Folklife devoted to capturing the history and memories of the Smithsonian in celebration of its sesquicentennial that same year.
- Waldo L. Schmitt Papers, 1907-1978, Record Unit 7231. Expedition field notes, photographs, reports and other papers documenting Schmitt’s extensive work in marine biology.
New Images Online:
- Over 800 images by Smithsonian photographers from the Smithsonian Photographic Services, Photographic Collection, 1971-2006, Accession 11-009.