Smithsonian Institution and United States National Museum (USNM) Publications
These publications are available in the Archives Reading Room. United State National Museum publications are indexed in Bulletins of the USNM 193 and 298.
- Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution, 1846–1964. These volumes include scientific articles, and are sources of information on the Smithsonian budget, exhibitions, expeditions, collections, staff, and other activities.
- Smithsonian Year, 1965–present. These annual reports highlight Smithsonian activities, development, and budget. Smithsonian Annals, 1985–2000, supplement this annual report information, providing staff listings and detailed information about exhibitions, events, and programs.
- Smithsonian Contributions to Knowledge. This is the oldest Smithsonian serial publication, primarily containing scientific articles and monographs.
- Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections. This collection contains scientific articles and monographs.
- Explorations and Fieldwork of the Smithsonian Institution. This series existed between circa 1910 and 1940. It was initially printed as part of the Miscellaneous Collections (above), with a reprinted version released each year. The Archives has the reprinted volumes. It is a source of information on Smithsonian expeditions and field work.
- Annual Report of the United States National Museum, 1884–1965. Volumes 1884–1904 include scientific articles.
- Bulletin of the United States National Museum. This is a publication of scientific monographs which ceased publication in 1965.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. A publication of scientific articles which ceased publication in 1965.
- Circulars of the United States National Museum. This series primarily includes administrative directives and instructions on collecting specimens.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium. This publication contains botanical articles.