The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 8/10/2012
by Catherine Shteynberg on August 10, 2012
The first high resolution photo of NASA’s Curiosity rover landing on Mars, in case you haven’t seen it. Plus, how to follow every second of the Curiosity Mars Mission [via Retina blog].
- In honor of National Parks Month, our sister blog at the Field Book Project writes about parks-related collections from our Archives, including some beautiful drawings.
- 19th century graffiti found at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- The New York Public Library has just released a series of free iBooks. The inaugural issue, Kenn Duncan’s Male Photography, features the photographer’s stunning portraits of male actors of the late 1960s–1980s.
- Have some tomatoes to can, or some pickles to put up from your bumper summer crops? Why not consult the Library of Congress’ new Science Reference Guides on Food Preservation, including canning,drying, fermenting, and smoking [via INFOdocket].
- An archive of deodorant print ads reveals how advertisers convinced Americans they smelled bad. Bonus feature? This commercial for Stopette spray deodorant from 1952:
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...