Finding Aids to Oral Histories in the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 9622
National Museum of Natural History 100th Anniversary Interviews, 2009-2011
National Museum of Natural History interviewees include Andre R. Bell, Protection Services, NMNH; Audrey Butler, Food Services; Alan H. Cheetham, Curator of Paleobiology; R. "Chip" Clark, museum photographer; Roy S. Clarke, Jr., Curator of Meteorites; Donald Davis, Curator of Entomology; Elizabeth Dietrich, Supervisory Museum Specialist, Museum Support Center; Nathan Erwin, manager, Insect Zoo; Frank M. Greenwell, taxidermist; Kristofer M. Helgen, Curator of Mammals; Gary F. Hevel, Museum Specialist, Department of Entomology; David Hunt, Museum Specialist, Department of Anthropology; James J. Krakker, Museum Specialist, Department of Anthropology; Storrs L. Olson, Curator of Birds; David L. Pawson, Curator of Invertebrate Zoology; Paul W. Pohwat, Museum Specialist, Department of Mineral Sciences; Paul D. Rhymer, exhibits specialist; Mary E. Rice, director Emeritus, Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce; Martha Rosen, Natural History Branch Librarian for Smithsonian Institution Libraries; George F. "Rusty" Russell, Supervisory Museum Specialist, Department of Botany; and George Venable, scientific illustrator, Department of Entomology.
Interviewers included Inci Bowman, Mignon Davis, and Mark White from NMNH, Lauren Dare and Pamela M. Henson from Smithsonian Institution Archives, Emma Lang, John Minks, James Nelson, Cigdem Pakel, William Stapleton, and Bridget Sullivan from American University, and Courtney Shaw and Mary A. Thomas from Smithsonian Institution Libraries.
The Smithsonian Institution Archives (SIA) began its Oral History Program in 1973. The purpose of the program is to supplement the written documentation of the Archives' record and manuscript collections with an Oral History Collection, focusing on the history of the Institution, research by its scholars, and contributions of its staff. Program staff conduct interviews with current and retired Smithsonian staff and others who have made significant contributions to the Institution. There are also reminiscences and interviews recorded by researchers or students on topics related to the history of the Smithsonian or the holdings of the Smithsonian Institution Archives.
As part of the celebration of the Centennial of the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), oral history interviews were conducted with museum staff members from an array of professions and subject areas, by SIA Institutional History Division staff, American University students, and volunteers from 2009 to 2011. Interviewees were nominated by NMNH staff and the project was coordinated by Heather P. Ewing. Interviews were recorded in digital audio and digital video, and deposited in the Smithsonian Institution Archives Oral History Collection.
These interviews discuss their careers at the NMNH, work with collections, research, scientific illustration, exhibits, taxidermy, museum security, interaction with the public and staff.
The NMNH Centennial Interviews consist of c. 38.75 hours of interview with 21.25 hours of digital audio recordings, 17.5 hours of digital video recordings, and c. 500 pages of transcript.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Bell, Andre R., interviewee
- Butler, Audrey., interviewee
- Cheetham, Alan H., interviewee
- Clark, Roy, interviewee
- Clarke, Roy S., Jr., interviewee
- Davis, Donald, interviewee
- Dietrich, Elizabeth, interviewee
- Erwin, Nathan, interviewee
- Greenwell, Francis M., interviewee
- Helgen, K. M. (Kristofer M.), interviewee
- Hevel, Gary F., interviewee
- Krakker, James J., interviewee
- Olson, Storrs L., interviewee
- Pawson, David L. (David Leo), 1938-, interviewee
- Powhat, Paul W., interviewee
- Rhymer, Paul D., interviewee
- Rice, Mary E., interviewee
- Russell, G. F. (George F.), interviewee
- Venable, George, interviewee
- Bowman, Inci, interviewer
- Dare, Lauren, interviewer
- Henson, Pamela M., interviewer
- Lang, Emma, interviewer
- Minks, John, interviewer
- Nelson, James, interviewer
- Pakel, Cigdem, interviewer
- Shaw, Courtney, interviewer
- Stapleton, William, interviewer
- Sullivan, Bridget, interviewer
- Thomas, Mary Augusta, interviewer
- White, Mark, interviewer
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Protection Services
- American University (Washington, D.C.)
- Natural history museums
- Museum curators
- Museums -- Collection management
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 9622, National Museum of Natural History 100th Anniversary Interviews