The Smithsonian Institution Archives continually strives to add more collection information to its website. This is a periodic post highlighting new acquisitions and individual collection items.
Over One Hundred New Finding Aids Online, including:
- Accession 18-100 - National Museum of Natural History, Division of Mammals, Correspondence, 1934-1939, 1956-2017. This collection documents the career of Richard W. Thorington (1937-2017), who specialized in systematics, evolution, anatomy, and functional morphology in mammals, especially of primates and squirrels.
- Accession 18-172 - National Air and Space Museum, Aeronautics Division, Exhibition Records, 1978-2010. This collection documents documenting updates to the "Black Wings" exhibition. The "Black Wings" exhibition opened in 1982 in the Pioneers of Flight Gallery and initially focused on the Tuskegee Airmen. The exhibition was periodically updated and its content broadened.
- Accession 18-217 - National Museum of Natural History, Department of Entomology, Correspondence, 1949-1998. This accession consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence focusing on the study of mosquitoes. Topics include the Southeast Asia Mosquito Project, specimen collection, and distribution or loan of specimens from the Museum.
- Accession 18-240 - Office of Public Affairs, Audiovisual Records, 1993, 1996, 1999-2014, undated. This accession consists of audiovisual recordings regarding the Smithsonian Institution, including interviews with media outlets, footage of events, exhibits, webcasts, and public service announcements.
Forty-seven Finding Aids with New Links to Digitized Material, including:
- Record Unit 321 - National Museum of American Art, Office of Program Support, Records 1947-1981 (highlights are images of exhibitions, seminars and workshops)
- Thirty-nine accessions of various Smithsonian websites, with links to preserved sites on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Examples include:
- The Panama Amphibian Rescue and Conservation Project website, crawled July 5, 2017
- The National Museum of African American History and Culture website, crawled September 22, 2017
- Biodiversity Heritage Library Consortium blog, 2007-2017, crawled April 21, 2017
One Hundred Fifty-nine New Images Online:
- Over one hundred fifty images from Accession 90-105 - Science Service, Records, 1920s-1970s (images of scientists)
- Collection Higlights, July 2019, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, April 2019, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, January 2019, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, October 2018, by Tammy Peters,The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Collection Highlights, July 2018, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives