The Smithsonian Institution Archives continually strives to add more collection information to its website. This is a periodic post highlighting new acquisitions and individual collection items. Staff are continuing very productive work, despite being in extended telework mode.
270 New Historical Images
The new images include numerous portraits of nineteenth-century prominent figures and Wilson Bentley photomicrographs of snowflakes.
203 Revised or New Finding Aids Online, including:
- Accession 20-022 - National Museum of Natural History, Department of Botany, Departmental Records, 1953-1996. This accession consists of materials concerning departmental matters created and maintained by Laurence J. Dorr during his tenure as Chair of the Department of Botany in the National Museum of Natural History. Dorr served as Chair from October 1, 2015, through February 17, 2019.
- Accession 20-005 - Smithsonian Consortia, Program Records, 2010-2015. This accession consists of the records of Michelle Anne Delaney, Consortia Director, and document her activities in developing and participating in Smithsonian Civil War 150 anniversary projects. These include educational programs, tours, special events, publications, and media initiatives that explore the unique Civil War collections held at the Smithsonian Institution, as well as the social, cultural, and technological impact of the war, and the history of the Institution during the conflict.
23 Finding Aids with New Links to Digitized Material, including:
- Accession 89-093 - Washington Biologists' Field Club, Records, circa 1920-1930. This accession consists of an album of photographs of members of the Washington Biologists' Field Club at Plummers Island, Maryland.
56 Newly-revised Finding Aids to Oral Histories, including:
- Record Unit 9513 - Lucile Quarry Mann Oral History Interviews, 1977. This record unit is a set of oral history interviews with Lucile Quarry Mann, who had a long association with the Smithsonian Institution and National Zoological Park spanning 58 years.
- “Collection Highlights: New Additions to the Archives Website,” Winter 2020, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- “Collection Highlights: New Additions to the Archives Website,” Fall 2020, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- “ Collection Highlights: New Additions to the Archives Website,” Summer 2020, by Tammy Peters, The Bigger Picture, Smithsonian Institution Archives