The Smithsonian Institution Archives continually strives to add more collection information to its website. This is a periodic post highlighting new acquisitions and individual collection items. Staff are continuing very productive work, despite being in extended telework mode.
Three Thousand One Hundred Twenty New Historical Images from Record Unit 95.
Record Unit 95 is a collection of photographs documenting a wide range of photographic images that capture Smithsonian history. The 3,120 new images cover the various world's fairs and expositions from the mid 1800s to the 1930s. Most of these images are in the public domain. And, there is more to come from this collection that we hope to post in the near future.
Six Hundred Ninety-Six Revised or New Finding Aids Online, including:
- Accession 19-196 - National Museum of the American Indian, Collections Research and Information, Exhibition Records, 1990-2006. This accession consists of records created and maintained by curator Mary Jane Lenz that document her activities relating to exhibitions at the National Museum of the American Indian.
- Accession 19-202 - National Museum of Natural History, Office of the Director, Subject Files, 1963, 1984-2019. This accession consists of materials that record the administration and programs of the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) by the Office of the Director, primarily during the tenures of Robert S. Hoffman, 1985-1988; Frank Talbot, 1988-1994; Donald J. Ortner, Acting Director, 1994-1996; David L. Pawson, Acting Director, 1996; Robert W. Fri, 1996-2001; J. Dennis O'Connor, Acting Director, 2001-2002; Cristián Samper, 2002-2007 and 2008-2012; Paul G. Risser, Acting Director, 2007-2008; and Kirk R. Johnson, 2012-present.
- Accession 19-201 - National Museum of African American History and Culture, Office of the Director, Administrative Records, 2000, 2003, 2008-2016. This accession consists of the records documenting the activities and management of the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) during the tenure of founding Director, Lonnie G. Bunch 2005-2019.
Thirty-seven Finding Aids with New Links to Digitized Material, including:
- Record Unit 65 -Smithsonian Institution, Chief Clerk, Forms, Circulars, Announcements, 1846-1933. This record unit consists of forms and circulars of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution; forms and circulars of the United States National Museum, Exchanges, Ethnology, Correspondence Clerk, Disbursing Clerk, International Catalogue of Scientific Literature, Library, and the National Zoological Park; lists of Smithsonian Institution employees; and invitations to Smithsonian Institution events. Digitized materials linked via this finding aid include images of postcards and miscellaneous forms used by the Smithsonian, 1846-1933.
- Record Unit 142 - Smithsonian Institution, Office of the Secretary, James Smithson Bicentennial Records, 1964-1966. In 1965, the Smithsonian observed the 200th anniversary of the birth of its founding benefactor, James Smithson. These records document planning for that event, including images of the academic procession during the celebration.
- Record Unit 60 - Smithsonian Institution, Meteorological Project, Records, 1849-1875, and related records from 1820. Joseph Henry's first major project at the Smithsonian Institution was his plan to obtain weather reports from a countrywide network of voluntary observers. His plan is detailed in the Institution's 1848 Annual Report. Voluminous reports, maps, tables, and charts were prepared and published on all phases of the work: rainfall, snowfall, temperatures, barometric pressure, storms, meteors, auroras, and other phenomena. Digitized material includes various documents, maps, and data sheets.