Explore our collections and see the evolution of the postcard by looking through the image galleries below. The galleries include both postcards of Smithsonian museums, research facilities, iconic objects and non-Smithsonian themed postcards.
- Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle Image Gallery
- Arts and Industries Building Image Gallery
- Copper-Hewitt National Design Museum Image Gallery
- Washington, DC Image Gallery
- Expositions Image Gallery
- Freer and Sackler Galleries Image Gallery
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Image Gallery
- Postcard Messages Image Gallery
- National Air and Space Museum Image Gallery
- National Museum of American History Image Gallery
- National Museum of the American Indian Image Gallery
- National Museum of Natural History Image Gallery
- National Zoo Image Gallery
- National Postal Museum Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery Image Gallery
- Smithsonian Observatories Image Gallery
Today in Smithsonian History
The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden opens to the public. It is the Smithsonian's museum for modern and contemporary art and is also known particularly for its extensive sculpture collection. The inaugural exhibition, representing highlights from the permanent collection, and including 900 works in all media, some of which had never before been exhibited, will run through September 15, 1975.More
Did you know...
That the Arts and Industries Building was the first building built to be the National Museum of the United States?