Explore our collections and see the evolution of the postcard by looking through the image galleries below. The galleries include both postcards of Smithsonian museums, research facilities, iconic objects and non-Smithsonian themed postcards.
- Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle Image Gallery
- Arts and Industries Building Image Gallery
- Copper-Hewitt National Design Museum Image Gallery
- Washington, DC Image Gallery
- Expositions Image Gallery
- Freer and Sackler Galleries Image Gallery
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Image Gallery
- Postcard Messages Image Gallery
- National Air and Space Museum Image Gallery
- National Museum of American History Image Gallery
- National Museum of the American Indian Image Gallery
- National Museum of Natural History Image Gallery
- National Zoo Image Gallery
- National Postal Museum Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery Image Gallery
- Smithsonian Observatories Image Gallery
Today in Smithsonian History
A fire starts in an outbuilding that houses the HVAC systems for the National Museum of Natural History. It is started by a contract worker who was welding in the building, which is located in the East side parking lot of the Museum. The fire causes a large cloud of smoke in the area around 10th Street, NW, and Constitution Avenue. There are no reports of injury or damages to the Museum but staff evacuates the building temporarily as a precaution and relocate to the Smithsonian Castle. Staff and students from the Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center relocate to the National Museum of American History. All return to the building at approximately 9:55 am. The Museum opens to the public at 10:10am. The incident also causes the National Mall to close between 7th and 12 Streets NW, temporarily.More
Did you know...
That the Arts and Industries Building was the first building built to be the National Museum of the United States?