Explore our collections and see the evolution of the postcard by looking through the image galleries below. The galleries include both postcards of Smithsonian museums, research facilities, iconic objects and non-Smithsonian themed postcards.
- Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle Image Gallery
- Arts and Industries Building Image Gallery
- Copper-Hewitt National Design Museum Image Gallery
- Washington, DC Image Gallery
- Expositions Image Gallery
- Freer and Sackler Galleries Image Gallery
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Image Gallery
- Postcard Messages Image Gallery
- National Air and Space Museum Image Gallery
- National Museum of American History Image Gallery
- National Museum of the American Indian Image Gallery
- National Museum of Natural History Image Gallery
- National Zoo Image Gallery
- National Postal Museum Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery Image Gallery
- Smithsonian Observatories Image Gallery
Today in Smithsonian History
The Armed Forces History Hall opens in the Museum of History and Technology, now the National Museum of American History. It features the 55-foot gun-boat, Philadelphia, which was recovered from the waters of Lake Champlain virtually intact. This is the oldest and most complete naval artifact associated with the American Revolution. Among the exhibits relating to the US Army were George Washington's headquarters tent and General Philip H. Sheridan's horse, Winchester.More
Did you know...
That the Arts and Industries Building was the first building built to be the National Museum of the United States?