Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
- All (2334)
- Joseph Henry (844)
- Sidney Dillon Ripley (393)
- Alexander Wetmore (362)
- Spencer Fullerton Baird (322)
- Charles D Walcott (209)
- S. P Langley (188)
- C. G Abbot (155)
- Leonard Carmichael (103)
- Robert McCormick Adams (102)
- Ira Michael Heyman (85)
- Lawrence M Small (48)
- G. Wayne Clough (18)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
- United States National Museum (2179)
- National Museum of Natural History (2032)
- National Museum of American History (1808)
- National Zoological Park (1100)
- National Air and Space Museum (872)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum (851)
- Smithsonian Institution Building (741)
- Freer Gallery of Art (570)
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (427)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (425)
- National Portrait Gallery (395)
- Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum (310)
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (295)
- National Museum of the American Indian (272)
- National Museum of African Art (164)
- Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (96)
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (72)
- National Postal Museum (50)
- All (20)
- National Museum of African American History and Culture (14)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Oral Histories InformationClose Browse oral and video history collections containing interviews with current and retired Smithsonian staff, and others who have made significant contributions to the Institution. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Professional Societies InformationClose Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
Purchase of Smithson Portrait
- Purchase of Smithson Portrait
- January 11, 1850
- Image is the Smithson Portrait, National Portrait Gallery, http://npgportraits.si.edu/eMuseumNPG/media/full/9600056a.jpg, negative number NPG.96.28
- Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1849, p. 46, 51
- Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1877, p. 9
- The Board of Regents authorizes Smithsonian Secretary Joseph Henry to purchase a small portrait painted by James Roberts of Mr. James Smithson whose bequest founded the Smithsonian The portrait is now in the possession of Mrs. John Fitall, widow of a servant of the late Mr. Smithson. On June 1, 1850, Henry reports that the painting has been received from England. In the 1877 Annual Report, Henry lists all the existing portraits of Smithson. He describes this one as a small full-length picture that represents Smithson in the costume of a student at Oxford University. This portrait is now on display in the Crypt Room of the Smithsonian Institution Building or "Castle."
- Accessions, Art objects, Exhibitions, Portraits, Museums--Acquisitions, Secretaries, Students
- Fitall, John, Fitall, Mrs. John, Henry, Joseph 1797-1878, Smithson, James 1765-1829, Roberts, James 1753 -c. 1809, Board of Regents, Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.), Oxford University
- Chronology of Smithsonian History
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections