Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
- All (338)
- Spencer Fullerton Baird (338)
- Joseph Henry (118)
- S. P Langley (44)
- Charles D Walcott (27)
- Alexander Wetmore (25)
- C. G Abbot (18)
- Leonard Carmichael (14)
- Sidney Dillon Ripley (13)
- Ira Michael Heyman (4)
- Lawrence M Small (3)
- Robert McCormick Adams (2)
- G. Wayne Clough (2)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
- United States National Museum (141)
- All (31)
- Smithsonian Institution Building (28)
- National Museum of Natural History (23)
- National Zoological Park (12)
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (10)
- Freer Gallery of Art (6)
- National Museum of American History (5)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum (4)
- National Portrait Gallery (4)
- National Air and Space Museum (3)
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (3)
- National Postal Museum (2)
- National Museum of the American Indian (1)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Personal Papers InformationClose Browse papers and special collections created by institutions and persons who have contributed to and collaborated with the Smithsonian. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
Baird the Naturalist
- Merriam, Clinton Hart
- Baird the Naturalist
- June 1924
- Note on Reprint: Abstract of address at the Centennial Anniversary of the birth of Spencer Fullerton Baird, held in the National Museum February 2, 1923.
- Article is a warm tribute to Second Smithsonian Institution Secretary Spencer Fullerton Baird. The author, a Smithsonian naturalist mentored by Baird, writes of him as a leader and teacher of a generation of naturalists, and credits him with developing and organizing the natural sciences in America. Baird's biographical background and career highlights are interwoven with the author's personal comments and remembrances. Baird is viewed as a rare individual with special talents and dedication to his work. Though not skilled in public oratory, Baird influenced others through personal appeal rather than official order to help build the Smithsonian's specimen collections.
- Naturalists, Biography, Secretaries, Natural history
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton 1823-1887
- Smithsonian Institution History Bibliography
- Physical Description:
- pp. 588-95
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections