Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Map Tracking a Tornado
- Lapham, Increase Allen 1811-1875
- Map Tracking a Tornado
- Henry, Joseph
- Data Source:
- Smithsonian Archives - History Div
- August 21, 1857
- After he was appointed Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, Joseph Henry's first major project was to create the Smithsonian Meteorological Project by using a country wide network of voluntary observers to record weather information and send it to the Smithsonian. Observations were sent to the Smithsonian primarily on a monthly basis through the mails, but some observers used the growing telegraph network for more rapid transmission of the information. The Smithsonian Meteorological Project existed from 1846-1870 and led to the founding of the National Weather Service. Joseph Henry's research in electromagnetism was instrumental in the development of the telegraph and he was interested in using this new form of data transmission to record scientific information.
- Map showing the path of a tornado through the counties of Columbia, Dodge and Washington in Wisconsin sent to the Smithsonian Meteorological Project. The tornado had passed over the eastern portion of Wisconsin on August 21, 1857. See note accompanying map from I. A. Lapham (SIA2010-0730).
- Contained in:
- Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 60, Box 7, Folder: Storms and Tornados
- No restrictions
- Volunteers, Natural disasters, Weather, Storms, Maps, Tornadoes
- Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
- Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Local Number:
- Physical Description:
- Number of Images: 1; Color: Color; Size: 15w x 8h; Type of Image: Map; Medium: Document
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections
Note: In order to access PDFs, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader software which is available free of charge.