Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
- All (2134)
- Joseph Henry (861)
- Alexander Wetmore (362)
- Sidney Dillon Ripley (309)
- Spencer Fullerton Baird (264)
- Charles D Walcott (177)
- S. P Langley (157)
- C. G Abbot (130)
- Leonard Carmichael (83)
- Robert McCormick Adams (53)
- Ira Michael Heyman (52)
- Lawrence M Small (17)
- G. Wayne Clough (15)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
- United States National Museum (1573)
- National Museum of Natural History (1289)
- Smithsonian Institution Building (729)
- National Zoological Park (697)
- National Museum of American History (662)
- National Air and Space Museum (544)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum (511)
- Freer Gallery of Art (353)
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (225)
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (221)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (195)
- National Portrait Gallery (192)
- National Museum of the American Indian (109)
- National Museum of African Art (85)
- Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (70)
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (31)
- National Postal Museum (25)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
John R. Kinard Appointed Director of Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
- John R. Kinard Appointed Director of Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
- In the image, Kinard is second from left, at groundingbreaking for a new museum building in 1985.
- Who's Who in the South and Southwest. 13th edition, 1973-1974. Wilmette, IL: Marquis Who's Who, 1973.
- Dr. John R. Kinard (1936-1989) is appointed the first director of the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum. The goal of the museum is to provide a window on the Smithsonian to the African American community in Washington, D.C. Dr. Kinard, a minister and community activist, will develop the museum into a center for African American history and culture. Kinard received his B.A. from Livingston College and his B.D. from Hood Theological Seminary.
- African Americans, Museum directors, Clergy, New Museums
- Kinard, John 1936-1989, Anacostia Community Museum, Anacostia Neighborhood Museum, Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture
- Chronology of Smithsonian History
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections