Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Volunteer Flight Officer Network Airline Records, 1963-1975
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Moonwatch Division
- Volunteer Flight Officer Network Airline Records, 1963-1975
- Data Source:
- Smithsonian Institution Archives
- 1963, 1963-1975
- Consists of records documenting files maintained for each member airline in the Volunteer Flight Officer Network (VFON); correspondence with airlines which refused to join; and the approximately 4,200 sighting reports submitted to VFON. The sighting or pilot reports were numbered by Herbert E. Roth, the Director of VFON, as they were received and marked with the name of the submitting airline. Other categories included ground sightings and reports from unidentified airlines. The majority of the early reports (1963-1968) are presumably from United Air Lines personnel. Each folder also contains Roth's correspondence with the airline regarding its membership, acknowledgments of reports, and discussions of unusual sightings. Materials include correspondence and reports.
- Research institutes, Observatories, Astronomy, Astrophysics
- Roth, Herbert E, United Air Lines, Inc
- Series Level Description
- Local Number:
- SIA RS00645
- Physical Description:
- 2.83 cu. ft. processed holdings
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections
Note: In order to access PDFs, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader software which is available free of charge.