"Pioneer" Locomotive, Museum of History and Technology

ID: SIA RU000095 [SIA_000095_B45_F15_001]

Creator: Smithsonian Institution Photographic Services Division

Form/Genre: Black-and-white photographs

Date: 1964

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 45, Folder 15 Image No. SIA_000095_B45_F15_001

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Interior view, final installation of "Pioneer" locomotive in Railroad Hall at Museum of History and Technology, now known as National Museum of American History, with John H. White, associate curator in the Section of Land Transportation, and Mary S. Chroniger, secretary.

Subject

  • White, John H.,℗ ℗1933-
  • Chroniger, Mary S
  • Museum of History and Technology (U.S.)
  • Museum of History and Technology (U.S.).℗ ℗Division of Transportation

Notes

  • See also number PSD No. P6427D
  • Early passenger locomotive, the "Pioneer," built in 1851 for the Cumberland Valley Railroad Company of central Pennsylvania. It regularly pulled three and four-car passenger trains at speeds of 40 mph. After being damaged in a raid by J. E. B. Stuart in 1862, it was repaired and continued to be in use until 1901.

Cite as

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 45, Folder 15 Image No. SIA_000095_B45_F15_001

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Date

1964

Restrictions & Rights

  • No access restrictions. Many of SIA's holdings are located off-site, and advance notice is recommended to consult a collection. Please email the SIA Reference Team at osiaref@si.edu
  • No Copyright ́ United States

Topic

  • Exhibitions
  • Museum exhibits

Form/Genre

Black-and-white photographs

Local number

SIA RU000095 [SIA_000095_B45_F15_001]

Physical description

Gelatin silver prints; 8 x 10;

Full Record

View Full Record