Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Personnel Records, 1892-1952
This accession consists of early personnel records. Notable staff include C. G. (Charles Greeley) Abbot, Carl Whiting Bishop, John Wesley Powell, Mary Jane Rathbun, Richard Rathbun, William Jones Rhees, Robert Ridgway, Thomas W. Smillie, Leonhard Stejneger, Charles Doolittle Walcott, and Mary Vaux Walcott. Materials include offer letters, letters of dismissal, payroll records, correspondence from employees, biographies, death notices, and, for some personnel, identification photographs used for employee badges.
These records were transferred to the National Archives prior to the establishment of the Smithsonian Institution Archives, where they became part of Record Group 106. While there, the records were titled, Personnel Records of Deceased Employees, 1892-1952. On March 18, 2005, these records were returned to the Smithsonian Institution and were added to the Archives collections.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Abbot, C. G. (Charles Greeley), 1872-1973
- Bishop, Carl Whiting, 1881-1942
- Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902
- Rathbun, Mary Jane, 1860-1943
- Rathbun, Richard, 1852-1918
- Rhees, William Jones, 1830-1907
- Ridgway, Robert, 1850-1929
- Smillie, Thomas William, 1843-1917
- Stejneger, Leonhard, 1851-1943
- Walcott, Charles D. (Charles Doolittle), 1850-1927
- Walcott, Mary Vaux, 1860-1940
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 05-123, Smithsonian Institution, Personnel Records