Agency history, 1921-

Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact

Narrow Your Results


Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.


  • Platt, Charles A (Charles Adams) 1861-1933
  • Mielke, Russell C
  • Bundy, John
  • Rawley, Weldon N
  • Evans, Robert W
  • Freer Gallery of Art Superintendent
  • Freer Gallery of Art
  • Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (Smithsonian Institution)
  • Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Office of the Associate Director, Exhibitions and Facilities


Agency History


  • This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
  • Telephone call to Robert W. Evans, 02/07/2002
  • Smithsonian Annals, 1940, 1956, 1991-1997
  • Smithsonian Directory, 1999
  • Building management of the Freer Gallery of Art began in 1921 when John Bundy, a representative of architect Charles A. Platt during the Gallery's construction, was hired by the Smithsonian as Superintendent, at times, referred to as Building Manager. In about 1991 the unit's name changed to Facilities Department.
  • After Bundy's death in 1939, Weldon N. Rawley became Superintendent. Rawley served from 1939 to 1955 and was followed by Russell C. Mielke, 1955-1977. Robert W. Evans was Building Manager or Superintendent, 1977-1991, then Head of Facilities, 1991-present. The Facilities Department is subordinate to the Associate Director, Exhibitions and Facilities.
  • The Facilities Department performs custodial work and labor for the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. It has a tradition of hiring craftsmen as staff to perform artisan work, such as cabinet making for exhibitions.
  • For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520


  • 1921
  • 1921-


  • Architecture
  • Superintendence
  • Building--Superintendence


Mixed archival materials

Local number

SIA AH00341

Full Record

View Full Record