Agency history, 1996-2017
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maxwell, Ted A
- Jakab, Peter L
- Launius, Roger D
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Archives Division
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Division of Aeronautics
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Center for Earth and Planetary Studies
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Division of Space History
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Collections Management Division
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Collections and Research Department
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Collections, Archives, and Logistics Department
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.) Curatorial Affairs Department
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Smithsonian Annals, 1995-1997
- National Air and Space Museum, Collections and Research, http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/departments/rc.cfm, accessed March 23, 2005
- National Air and Space Museum, Departments, http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/departments.cfm, accessed 2009
- National Air and Space Museum, About, Governance, Departments and Staff, http://airandspace.si.edu/about/governance/departments.cfm, accessed 2013
- National Air and Space Museum, About, Organization, Departments and Staff, https://airandspace.si.edu/about/organization/departments-staff, accessed 2016-2018
- National Air and Space Museum, Staff, Ted A. Maxwell resume, https://airandspace.si.edu/files/pdf/staff/tmaxwell_cv.pdf, accessed January 7, 2022
- The Collections and Research Department was first formed in 1996 from five research and curatorial divisions: an Archives Division; a Collections Management Division; an Aeronautics Division; a Space History Division; and the Center for Earth and Planetary Studies. Ted A. Maxwell served as Associate Director, 1996-2008. In 2008 the office was renamed the Collections and Curatorial Affairs Department. Peter L. Jakab served as Associate Director, 2008-2013; was followed by Roger D. Launius, 2013-2016; and Peter L. Jakab, Acting Associate Director, 2017. The Associate Director reports to the Director.
- In the summer of 2017, the Collections and Curatorial Affairs Department were split up into the Collections, Archives, and Logistics Department and the Curatorial Affairs Department.
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Aeronautical museums
Mixed archival materials