Agency history, 1966-

Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Creator

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Office of the Director

Subject

  • Demetrion, James
  • Hirshhorn, Joseph H
  • Lerner, Abram

Category

Agency History

Notes

  • This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
  • Guide to the Smithsonian Archives 1996
  • "Welcome to the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden," http://www.si.edu/hirshhorn/start.htm, May 26, 2000
  • In 1966, Joseph H. Hirshhorn announced he would donate his art collection to the Smithsonian Institution which would be housed in a museum named for him and located on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden opened to the public in October 1974. Abram Lerner, who had begun working with Joseph H. Hirshhorn in 1954 and became Curator of Hirshhorn's collection in 1955, was appointed Director of the Museum in 1967. Upon his retirement in 1984, he was succeeded by James Demetrion, who served as Director, 1984-2001.
  • For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of " above.

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Date

  • 1966
  • 1966-

Topic

  • Art
  • Art museums
  • Museums
  • Museums--Administration
  • Art, Modern
  • Art museum directors

Form/Genre

Mixed archival materials

Local number

SIA AH00167