Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
Consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence and enclosures of the Office of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution during the tenures of Joseph Henry, Secretary, 1846-1878; Spencer F. Baird, Secretary, 1878-1887; S. P. Langley, Secretary, 1887-1906; Charles D. Walcott, Secretary, 1907-1927; C. G. Abbot, Secretary, 1928-1944; Alexander Wetmore, Secretary, 1945-1952; Leonard Carmichael, Secretary, 1953-1964; and S. Dillon Ripley, Secretary, 1964-1984. After 1971, the Secretary's file plan changed and thereafter correspondence was integrated with its associated administrative file(s), see SIA RS00771. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, and lantern slides.
- Abbot, C. G (Charles Greeley) 1872-1973
- Carmichael, Leonard 1898-1973
- Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
- Langley, S. P (Samuel Pierpont) 1834-1906
- Walcott, Charles D (Charles Doolittle) 1850-1927
- Wetmore, Alexander 1886-1978
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton 1823-1887
- Ripley, S. Dillon (Sidney Dillon) 1913-2001
Series Level Description
- To view records that comprise this series, see the detailed list of accessions and/or record units below.
- For a history of the creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Addl. KW Subjects
(SIA RS00771) African American college athletes
Alphabetic by correspondent and unarranged
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Lantern slides
- 3 cu. ft. unprocessed holdings
- 291.38 cu. ft. processed holdings