Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consists of records documenting the activities of the department and its predecessors (Department of Painting and Sculpture and the Department of Graphic Arts), and when the museum was known as the National Collection of Fine Arts and the National Museum of American Art (1980-2000). The records also document the department's interactions with art scholars, other museums, and Smithsonian offices. Materials include general correspondence; correspondence with artists, dealers, and institutions; and memoranda. Some materials are in electronic format.
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.) Department of Prints and Drawings
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.) Department of Graphic Arts
- National Collection of Fine Arts (U.S.)
- National Museum of American Art (U.S.) Curatorial Office
Series Level Description
- To view records that comprise this series, see the detailed list of accessions and/or record units below.
- For a history of the creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Unarranged and chronologic
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
Restrictions & Rights
Materials less than 15 years old Restricted. Contact reference staff for details
- Graphic arts
- Art museums
- Painting, American
- Sculpture, American
- Art museum curators
- Electronic records
- Electronic mail
9 cu. ft. unprocessed holdings