Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence documenting the activities of the Division of Birds. Topics include exchange of specimens, research projects, and scientific publications. Curators represented in this material include Robert Ridgway, Assistant in Ornithology, 1874-1881, Curator, 1881-1929; Charles Wallace Richmond, Assistant Curator and Associate Curator, 1895- 1932; Joseph Harvey Riley, Assistant Curator and Associate Curator, 1928-1941; Herbert Friedmann, Curator, 1929-1960; Herbert Girton Deignan, Assistant Curator, Associate Curator, and Curator, 1940-1962; S. Dillon Ripley, Assistant Curator, 1942-1943; Walter Alois Weber, Assistant Curator, 1943-1944; Philip Strong Humphrey, Curator, 1962-1964; Richard L. Zusi, Associate Curator, Curator, and Curator Emeritus, 1964- ; Paul Slud, Associate Curator, 1965-1983; and George E. Watson, Assistant Curator, Associate Curator, and Curator, 1965- 1984; and Roxie C. Laybourne.
- Laybourne, Roxie C. 1910-2003
- Richmond, Charles Wallace 1868-1932
- Ridgway, Robert 1850-1929
- Riley, Joseph Harvey 1873-1941
- Friedmann, Herbert 1900-1987
- Deignan, H. G (Herbert Girton) 1906-1968
- Weber, Walter Alois 1905 or 1906-
- Humphrey, Philip S (Philip Strong) 1926-2009
- Zusi, Richard L (Richard Laurence) 1930-
- Slud, Paul
- Watson, George E (George Elder) 1931-
- Ripley, S. Dillon (Sidney Dillon) 1913-2001
- United States National Museum
Series Level Description
- To view records that comprise this series, see the detailed list of accessions and/or record units below.
- For a history of the creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Chronologic, alphabetic and unarrranged
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Vertebrate zoology
- 20 cu. ft. processed holdings
- 2.5 cu. ft. unprocessed holdings