Agency history, 1963-
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Switzer, George S (George Shirley) 1915-2008
- Mason, Brian (Brian Harold) 1917-2009
- Melson, William G. 1938-
- Fudali, Robert F
- Post, Jeffrey Edward
- MacPherson, Glenn J
- Appleman, Daniel E
- b Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Department of Geology
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Department of Paleobiology
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Mineralogy and Petrology
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Mineralogy
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Meteorites
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Petrology
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Petrology and Volcanology
- Smithsonian Institution Global Volcanism Program
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Guide to the Smithsonian Archives
- Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution
- Smithsonian Year
- The Department of Mineral Sciences was created in 1963 as part of a reorganization in the Museum of Natural History. At that time, the Department of Geology was divided into two new departments - Mineral Sciences and Paleobiology. The former Division of Mineralogy and Petrology, Department of Geology, became the new Department of Mineral Sciences. Divisions of Mineralogy and Meteorites were created within the new Department. In 1964, a Division of Petrology was established. Its name was changed to the Division of Petrology and Volcanology in 1973. The same year, a Physical Sciences Laboratory was established, and in 1989 the Global Volcanology Program was created within the Department.
- Chairs of the Department of Mineral Sciences have included George Switzer, 1963-1968; Brian Harold Mason, 1968-1973; William G. Melson, 1973-1978; Daniel E. Appleman, 1978-1982; Robert F. Fudali, 1983-1988; Daniel E. Appleman, 1989; Jeffrey Edward Post, 1990-1995; and Glenn J. MacPherson, 1995- .
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
Mixed archival materials