Agency history, 1963-circa 1991
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Krombein, Karl V
- Froeschner, Richard C
- Hurd, Paul David 1921-
- Stage, Gerald Irving 1935-
- United States National Museum
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Department of Entomology
- Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Hemiptera
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Division of Hymenoptera
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Department of Entomology
- This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
- Guide to the Smithsonian Archives
- Smithsonian Year
- The Division of Hemiptera was created at the time of the establishment of the Department of Entomology in July 1963. For administrative purposes, the Division of Hemiptera also processed transactions relating to Hymenoptera until a separate Division of Hymenoptera was created in 1984. As a result, the title Division of Hemiptera and Hymenoptera was used intermittently during the period 1963-1984. Around 1991, the Division ceased to be an administrative entity within the Department of Entomology.
- Curators and research staff of the Division of Hemiptera (and Division of Hemiptera and Hymenoptera) included Richard C. Froeschner, Associate Curator and Curator, 1963-1991; Gerald Irving Stage, Assistant Curator, 1966-1970; Karl V. Krombein, Senior Entomologist and Senior Scientist, 1971-1984; and Paul David Hurd, Curator and Senior Scientist, 1976-1982.
- For a history of the larger creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- 1963-circa 1991
Mixed archival materials