Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consists of the official incoming and outgoing correspondence of the Division of Fishes, chiefly concerning identification, loan, and acquisition of specimens; collecting work; requests for information and publications from scientists and the public; research being conducted by the staff; professional societies; relations with Smithsonian administration; and the administrative affairs of the Division.
- Most of the correspondence is from domestic and foreign ichthyologists, aquarists, collectors, colleges and universities, museum officials, and the general public. Curators represented in these records include Tarleton H. Bean, Assistant Ichthyologist, Curator, and Honorary Curator, 1877-1905; Barton A. Bean, Assistant, Aid, and Curator, 1882-1932; Barton Warren Evermann, Curator, 1906-1913; George S. Myers, Assistant Curator, 1933-1936; Leonard P. Schultz, Assistant Curator, Curator, Senior Zoologist, and Zoologist Emeritus, 1936-1986; Robert Rush Miller, Associate Curator, 1944-1948; Loren P. Woods, Associate Curator, 1948-1949; Ernest A. Lachner, Associate Curator and Curator, 1949-1981; William Ralph Taylor, Associate Curator and Curator Emeritus, 1956-1990; Robert H. Gibbs, Jr., Associate Curator and Curator, 1963-1988; Victor Gruschka Springer, Associate Curator and Curator, 1963- ; Stanley H. Weitzman, Associate Curator and Curator, 1963- ; Richard P. Vari, Assistant Curator, Associate Curator, and Curator, 1980- ; and G. David Johnson, Associate Curator and Curator, 1983- . Materials predating 1880 partially document the administration of the collection under Spencer F. Baird, Charles Frederic Girard, and Theodore Gill.
- Bean, Tarleton H (Tarleton Hoffman) 1846-1916
- Bean, Barton A (Barton Appler) 1860-1947
- Evermann, Barton Warren 1853-1932
- Myers, George S (George Sprague) 1905-1985
- Schultz, Leonard P (Leonard Peter) 1901-1986
- Miller, Robert Rush 1916-2003
- Lachner, Ernest A
- Gill, Theodore 1837-1914
- Taylor, William Ralph 1919-2004
- Girard, Charles Frederic
- Springer, Victor Gruschka 1928-
- Weitzman, Stanley H
- Vari, Richard P
- Johnson, G. David
- Woods, Loren P
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton 1823-1887
- Gibbs, Robert H. Jr
- United States National Museum
Series Level Description
- To view records that comprise this series, see the detailed list of accessions and/or record units below.
- For a history of the creating unit, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Chronologic, alphabetic, and unarranged
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Vertebrate zoology
- Museum curators
- Field notes
- Black-and-white photographs
- Black-and-white negatives
- Color photographs
- Color transparencies
- Picture postcards
- 23 cu. ft. processed holdings
- 20 cu. ft. unprocessed holdings