Agency history, 1954-

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Subject

  • Wattenmaker, Richard J
  • Hamilton, Susan A
  • Murray, Richard N. 1942-2006
  • Woolfenden, William E (William Edward) 1918-1995
  • Richardson, Edgar Preston 1902-1985
  • Kirwin, Liza
  • Smith, John W (John William) 1959-
  • Fleckner, John A. 1941-
  • Haw, Kate

Category

Agency History

Notes

  • This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.
  • From its founding to 1954 the Archives was headquartered at the Detroit Institute of Arts. In 1960 the Archives moved its headquarters to New York but a branch office remained in Detroit. In 1963 an office was opened in Rome to collect the records of American artists' work in Italy. In 1970 the Archives became a bureau of the Smithsonian Institution and moved to Washington, D.C. Directors have included Edgar Preston Richardson, 1954-1964; William E. Woolfenden, 1964-1983; Richard N. Murray, 1983-1988; John A. Fleckner (Acting Director), 1987-1988; Susan A. Hamilton (Acting Director), 1988-1990; Richard J. Wattenmaker, 1990-2005; John W. Smith, 2006-2011; Liza Kirwin (Acting Director), 2011-2013; and Kate Haw, 2013-2019.

Repository Loc.

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Date

  • 1954
  • 1954-

Topic

  • Art museums
  • Museum archives

Form/Genre

Mixed archival materials

Local number

SIA AH00018

Full Record

View Full Record