- Included in this record unit are photographs of Smithsonian officials and staff, scientists, and political figures; buildings and facilities of the Institution, some documented from groundbreaking to the present; exhibits; Smithsonian activities, including ceremonies, presentations, and openings; expositions, especially those in which the Institution participated; insignia and medals of the Smithsonian; and Washington, D.C., and vicinity. The collection also contains some photographs of specimens held by the museums, but researchers should generally consult the appropriate curatorial office for specimen photographs. A small number of engravings and prints are also included in this collection.
- Researchers are advised that photographs in this and other collections in the Archives are only a small part of the Institution's photographic resources.
- The Smithsonian Archives maintains this record unit as a central file of photographs documenting the history of the Institution. It is a combination of reference files which were created by various administrative offices of the Smithsonian, and individual photographs which have come in separately from other records or manuscript collections. Photographs that come into the Archives as part of a record unit are generally kept in that record unit. See Appendix A, Index by Form, for a list of other record units containing photographs.
- Description in control file.
- For a further history of the creating unit, refer to the highlighted link "Forms Part of" above.
Addl. KW Subjects
- (RU 7098)
- Kaykuloga (RU 96)
- Kasiyotagina (RU 106)
(1) Individuals; (2) group portraits; (3) buildings and facilities; (4) exhibits; (5) specimens, artifacts, equipment; (6) events; (7) expositions; (8) Smithsonian insignia and medals; (9) Washington, D.C., and vicinity; (10) published plates; (11) slides; (12) negatives
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
- Museum buildings
- Personnel management
- Smithsonian buildings
- Museum exhibits
- Collection descriptions
74.21 cu. ft. (95 document boxes) (1 half document box) (43 12x17 boxes) (1 16x20 box) (17 5x8 boxes) (2 tall document boxes) (oversize materials)