Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton 1823-1887
- Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
- Smithsonian Institution Administration
- This series consists mostly of correspondence addressed to Joseph Henry, much of which received his personal attention; also included are some copies of Henry letters, occasional returned original Henry letters, and a considerable number of letters to Spencer Fullerton Baird.
- (1) Card indexes, providing mostly proper name access; references are to volume and page numbers, although records for volumes 1-75 are located alphabetically; (2) most volumes indexed individually; (3) alphabetic arrangement of records serves as an additional finding aid.
- For a description of the record series of which these materials are a part, refer to "Forms part of" above.
Numerous alphabetical series numbered from volume 1 through volume 183; (1) volumes 1-75, 1863-1869, unbound and rearranged in two alphabetic series; (2) volumes 76-183, 1866-1879, alphabetic in several series
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520
Restrictions & Rights
(1) Many items are missing, especially from the first 75 volumes; (2) record unit available on microfilm
- Mixed archival materials
- Collection descriptions
59.56 cu. ft. (98 document boxes) (46 3x5 boxes) (183 microfilm reels)