- OUCH! There’s a reason why “auto polo” never took as a professional sport. This gem comes from the Library of Congress’ Flickr Commons stream [via Neatorama].
- The Smithsonian’s Secretary on how we’re working to make the Institution a more sustainable place.
- Okay, so maybe you’re tired of the “What you think” meme, but check it out for a chuckle: “What Archivists Do” [via Marguerite Roby, SIA].
- “Every week, 20,000 new volumes arrive . . .” It’s the Internet Archive, but they still have a tremendous physical archive [via Marvin Heiferman].
- The Smithsonian owes its very existence to a coin? The National Museum of American History blog profiles the bequest of James Smithson, the founder of the Smithsonian.
- Dan Brown film trailer or exhibition announcement?: “100 original documents, preserved for 400 years in the Popes’ Archive, will leave the confines of the Vatican City walls for the first time in history, and will be admired at the Capitoline Museums in Rome, from 1st March till September 2012, for the exhibition Lux in arcana - The Vatican Secret Archives reveals itself” [via @archivesireland].
A preview of the official video for the exhibition-event Lux in Arcana -- The Vatican Secret Archives reveals itself http://www.luxinarcana.org. Filmed inside the Vatican Secret Archives, it shows rooms and bunkers in the Archive of the Popes, together with some of the 100 original documents that will leave the Vatican City for the first time in history.