International Exchange Service at Work, by Unknown, c. 1903-1904, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Three staff members of the International Exchange Service are at work in the basement of the Smithsonian Institution Building. Note electric wiring is on ceiling. Wrapped packages are piled on the tables in the center and along the wall. Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad..