Tomb of James Smithson in Italy, by Prematio Studio Fotographico (Genova, Italy), 1897, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Full view of the fenced plot with the monument of James Smithson in the Protestant or English cemetery on a hilltop about a mile west of Genoa, Italy. The base of the monument is of pale gray marble, 6 feet and a half long, 3 feet wide and 3 3/4 feet high. On the top of this is a white marble urn suitably proportioned to the base. In 1904 his remains were removed and brought to the Smithsonian..