Painting of the Renwick Gallery, by Briggs, Frederic Schuler, c. 1870, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, The original Corcoran Gallery of Art building on Pennsylvania Avenue was acquired by the Smithsonian Institution in 1972 and became the Renwick Gallery, part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum. This painting by Frederic Schuler Briggs shows people walking in front of the building in a snowy scene. Shows entire west and south facades arrayed with statuary. A portion of Blair House is also visible..