U.S. Fish Commission at Armory Building, by Photo Engraving Co. of New York, 1885, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, The Armory Building which was transferred to Smithsonian use in 1876 to store its National Museum collections. It is also used by the United States Fish Commission, administered by Smithsonian Secretary Spencer Baird. Fish Commission staff are delivering or sending fish of some type for distribution (not scientific specimens) from the Armory Building. A railroad car is labeled United States Fish Commission sits near the building with a horse-drawn cart in front of the building holds wooden barrels..