Patent Office Building Exterior, Home of Smithsonian American Art Museum, by Unknown, Unknown, perhaps c. 1970s, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, The National Collection of Fine Arts (NCFA), now known as the Smithsonian American Art Museum, is located on this side of the Old Patent Office Building at 8th and G Streets, N.W. The National Portrait Gallery is located on the opposite side (not shown in photograph). The Old Patent Office building is a Greek Revival structure, built (1836-66) by Robert Mills and became home to the National Collection of Fine Arts (NCFA) in 1968. In 1980, NCFA was renamed the National Museum of American Art (NMAA), and then in 2000 it became known as the Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM)..