Smithsonian Institution Building After Fire of 1865, by Wakeley, G. D, 1865, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, The Smithsonian Institution Building, the "Castle," after the fire of January 24, 1865. The roof on the Main Hall is missing. Within three days of the fire a temporary roof was installed over the Lower Main Hall to protect the collections. That roof remained in place until the spring of 1867 when it was replaced with an iron and slate roof designed by Adolf Cluss..