Laboratory of Natural History, SI Building, by Unknown, c. 1856, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Engraving of the Laboratory of Natural History in the East Range of the Smithsonian Institution Building, the "Castle," which was open for study of natural history specimens. Pictured is a scientist with several natural history specimens on a table and a man walking into the room. The engraving was published in the Guidebook of 1857..