Chemical Laboratory, Smithsonian Institution Building, by Unknown, c. 1856, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Engraving of the Chemical Laboratory in the East Range of the Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB), second room from Great Hall, next to the Natural History Laboratory. Nineteenth century view shows a scientist at work near window and laboratory apparatus. The engraving was published in the Guidebook of 1857..