Old Archives Office, Smithsonian Institution Building, by Unknown, 1897, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, In 1894 a room on the fourth floor, East Wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building, the "Castle," was converted for use as the Smithsonian Institution Archives. It was furnished with walnut cabinets for storage of early manuscripts and correspondence as well as drawings, photographs, and plans of the Institution. Over a large worktable in the center of the room, a combination gas-electric chandelier was hung from the pressed tin ceiling. Beneath the two framed pictures to the right of the door can be seen the mouth-piece of an "oral annunciator," an early type of intercom installed throughout the East Wing in 1884..