Anacostia Museum Building, by Phillips, Charles, 1989, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Exterior walls of the Anacostia Museum's new building at 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C., which opened May 17, 1987 next to its laboratory-research center built in 1975. The new building is approximately 10 blocks from the Museum's former location and was developed by the architectural firm of Keyes Condon Florance. In 1995 the Museum was renamed Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture. After the Smithsonian launched its new National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Museum was renamed Anacostia Community Museum in 2006..