South Shed of the Smithsonian Institution Building, by Unknown, c. 1900, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, South Shed (also referred to as the Annex), built in 1898, was used for the preparation of exhibition specimens, and later as the "Bug House." Demolished in the fall of 1975 in preparation for the Victorian Garden which opened in 1976. Part of the Smithsonian Institution Building is visible behind the Shed..