Entrance to " George Catlin's Indian Gallery" in the National Collection of Fine Arts, by Unknown, 1965, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, In the Natural History Building, entrance is to "George Catlin's Indian Gallery" in the Art Hall, National Collection of Fine Arts, now known as the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The gallery displayed four hundred George Catlin Indian paintings. The original paintings were acquired by the Smithsonian Institution in 1879 and first exhibited in 1883 in the Smithsonian Institution Building, the "Castle." In the 1900s the majority were placed in the Anthropological Collection from which the paintings for this exhibit were loaned. The paintings were cleaned and renovated to be displayed in this new exhibit, "George Catlin's Indian Gallery," which was shown from July 19 to September 19, 1965, and were mounted "in a setting and manner approximating Catlin's own gallery of the mid-19th century.".