Lincoln Chair at the Cooper Union Museum, c. 1945, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, The chair used by Abraham Lincoln the day of his speech to the Cooper Union (1860). It was later displayed on stage in the Great Hall of the Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration. The Cooper Union Museum was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution July 1, 1968, and was renamed the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design. The chair is shown before it was reupholstered in 1949..